MSC 70 - Hudswell Clark 0-6-0 side tank
Number 70 appears courtesy of her owners who are based on the Swindon and Cricklade railway. 70 was one of the MSC ‘Long tanks’ built by Hudswell Clarke of Leeds in 1921. She was one of a class of 22 locomotives built for the Ship Canal railway and one of just two to survive today. 70 was withdrawn from MSC use in 1973 and she went to the East Lancs railway, where she was restored to steam again. Following various ownership changes the loco is now based on the S & CR but she does appear at other railways on short term hires. Although never named by the MSC, 70 did once carry the name of ‘Phoenix’ in its preservation career. Number 70 left the LWR at the beginning of October 2010.
No 2150 The Mardy Monster
The biggest and most powerful steam loco ever to run at the Lincolnshire Wolds Railway arrived at Ludborough on 20th July 2010. Named 'The Mardy Monster', she is a Peckett 'OQ' Class No 2150, and was built in June 1954 for Mardy colliery in South Wales where she worked with sister loco 2151. 2150 went in to preservation, initially at the Swanage railway but was never used there and was eventually sold in the early 1990s. She then went to the Elsecar railway and was fully restored - running there for many years. Following a loan period at the Weardale railway she was prematurely withdrawn from service awaiting firebox repairs. No. 2150 re-entered service in 2005 and continued to give good service at Elsecar. She went to the East Lancs railway for a brief visit in mid-2010 but proved unsuitable for their 25 mph running, so 'The Mardy Monster' became available for hire again and is now on a loan period to the LWR until the end of October 2010.
6430 - Great Western Railway 0-6-0 Pannier tank
6430 appeared at the 2010 Easter Gala courtesy of the Llangollen Railway plc and the locomotive’s owner. 6430 was built in 1937 by the GWR at Swindon. She worked on branch lines all over the Western region and was based in South Wales and later at Exmouth Junction and Yeovil sheds. She was withdrawn in 1964 and sold for scrap but the Dart Valley Railway bought her as spares for 6435. In 1990 she was sold to the present owner who took her to Llangollen for major restoration - this was completed by December 2003 and from 2004 to the present she has operated at Llangollen and on hires to other railways. This was almost certainly the first visit by such a loco to East Lincolnshire.
Millom - Hudswell Clarke 0-4-0 saddle tank
Based at the Buckinghamshire Railway Centre at Quainton Road, Bucks, 1742 ‘Millom’ was also built by Hudswell Clarke of Leeds, but in 1946 and for the Ministry of Supply. In 1957 she was sold to the Millom Heamatite & Iron Co Ltd where she was stored until 1963 when she was overhauled and used again until the works closed in 1968. By 1970 the loco was preserved at Quainton Road where she is still based. Following another overhaul she steamed again in 2007 and was making her second visit to the LWR.
1438 - Peckett and Sons 0-4-0 saddle tank
1438 is based at the Appleby Frodingham Railway Society’s base at Scunthorpe steelworks (Corus) and appeared at the Easter Gala courtesy of her owner, Mr Chris Theaker. 1438 was built by Pecketts in 1916 and she is a 15" cylinder type of W5 class loco. She went to work initially for the City of Birmingham Electric Company and carried the name "Nechelles Number 1". In 1970 she was transferred to Northampton power station as their standy loco and in 1975 she was withdrawn from there. She was then sold and preserved at the East Anglian Railway Museum but in 1990 the present owner bought her and took her to Scunthorpe where she was restored. 1438 is a regular performer there and at other railways. 1438 made her first visit to the LWR at the 2010 Easter Gala and made a return visit for the 2011 Gala.
47406 - Jinty 0-6-0 tank
When Jinty 47406 visited the Lincolnshire Wolds Railway for the 2011 Easter Gala she became the first steam loco to face south on a scheduled passenger train on the line for 50 years - the last being Britannia 70040 'Clive of India', which pulled the last steam-hauled Cleethorpes - Kings Cross service in November 1961. This was almost certainly be the first time ever a Midland Jinty has visited East Lincolnshire. Based at the Great Central Railway, 47406 was restored by owner Roger Hibbert and returned to service at Loughborough last year.
'Bellerophon', one of the oldest steam locomotives in the world. Built in 1874, 'Bellerophon' appeared at 2011 LWR Easter Gala courtesy of her owners, the Vintage Carriages Trust and her caretakers, the Foxfield Railway in Staffordshire. 'Bellerophon' has many claims to fame - she is the only surviving loco built by the Haydock Foundry. She was the first successful use of the piston valve on any steam locomotive and she has the highly unusual Gooch valve gear. She is pictured here arriving at Ludborough on the low loader lorry prior to the Gala.