Locomotives & Rolling Stock
Fulstow No 2. This is a Peckett 0-4-0 [makers number 1749] built in 1928. She spent her working life at Cawdor Quarry, Matlock until withdrawal in 1970. She was restored by Peter Clark in the village of Fulstow in 1988 and was then sold to Great Northern Locomotives Ltd in 1997. 'Fulstow' has just had a ten-year overhaul and she re-entered traffic on 21st November 2010.
British Rail Class 08 Shunter D3167 is owned by Lincoln City Council and spent most of its working life at Lincoln Central Station. For several years after its withdrawal it stood on a plinth just outside Lincoln Station. Since coming to Ludborough it is now operational and regularly used for shunting stock and some passenger operations.
Ruston & Hornsby Shunters. Two were given to the Society by Conoco. A second shunter was also given at the same time but it was necessary to use spares from one to make the main one operational. These locomotives are now not in working order and sit in a siding awaiting repair.
Lion. This is a Peckett 0-4-0ST (makers number 1351) built in 1914. It spent much of its working life at Woolwich Arsenal and later at Wallsend Slipway, Northumberland. It came to us in early 1998 after service at the Foxfield Railway in Staffordshire. This locomotive performed all our passenger duties in 1998 and is the next in line for overhaul.
97650 (PWM650). Built for the BR Western Region Permanent Way fleet by Ruston & Hornsby of Lincoln in 1953, working at Swindon, Newland and Reading depots. Renumbered 97650 under TOPS system. Upon withdrawal in 1987 she was purchased by the City of Lincoln and was displayed outside the old 40A steam shed for several years before coming to Ludborough.
No. 1313 'B' Class 4-6-0. Built in Sweden in 1917. After hauling trains all over Sweden the loco was withdrawn in 1963 and was brought to the Bo'ness & Kinneil Railway. After very limited service there, it left for the Stephenson’s Railway Museum in 1991 but was later declared surplus. It has now been acquired by three LWR volunteers who hope to restore the loco for service at Ludborough.
MK1 Brake 2nd Corridor Coach. Renovation is now at an advanced stage. In its previous life the coach had been used as a support vehicle for Black 5 44871 at the East Lancs Railway, and was in need of a lot of TLC. Since arriving at the LWR, the roof has been resealed and painted, the woodwork and upholstery in the compartments refurbished and the ceiling panels replaced. Next on the list is welding on some of the body panels.
No 1964 Spitfire A standard Barclay 0-4-0 saddle tank built in 1929, 'Spitfire' spent her working life in the chemical industry at Trafford Park in Manchester, finally working for CPC. After withdrawal in the 1960s she was preserved at the Manchester Museum of Science and Technology and since 1984 has resided at several heritage railways before moving to Ludborough.