It was built in 1956 for the National Coal Board (NCB) by the Hunslet Engine Company.
The locomotive worked at the Graig Merthyr Colliery in South Wales until June 1978 when the colliery closed. It worked between the Graig Merthyr Colliery and the exchange sidings on the former GWR main line on the Swansea District line at Graig Merthyr Colliery Sidings.
Despite the closure of the colliery, the locomotive remained in the Graig Merthyr engine shed until 1986. It was then moved to the Cefn Coed Colliery Museum at Crynant near Neath to act as the Gate Guardian until replaced in 1997.
In 1997 the locomotive was purchased privately and based with the Appleby-Frodingham Railway Preservation Society. The locomotive was moved by the society to Scunthorpe where its restoration was started.
The locomotive was restored to steam in 2010 but because it only had limited running opportunities at Scunthorpe the owner came to an agreement with the Nene Valley Railway for its use. It has since worked on various heritage railways on loan.
Come visit the Lincolnshire Wolds Railway this summer to see this fantastic loco – check our website for all information regarding your visit.
Finally we would like to thank the owner and ‘The Appleby & Frodingham Railway Preservation Society’ / ‘Scunthorpe Steelworks’ for this opportunity to have this guest loco at the LWR.
Lincolnshire Wolds Railway