Skip to main content

Keeping the age of steam alive!

Entirely by Dedicated Volunteers!

Guest Locomotives

0-6-0ST ‘Nightingale and Seacole’

On hire from Embsey / Bolton Abbey Railway during the Summer season of 2022, we have a 1916 built steam Locomotive previously known as ‘Illingworth’, now renamed ‘Nightingale and Seacole’
Mary Seacole and Florence Nightingale are two of the world’s most famous nurses, both being remembered for the advancements in nursing which they developed whilst caring for injured soldiers during the Crimean War.
This loco was built by Hudswell Clarke with works number 1208 which was then used for war work at the Ministry of Munitions at Gretna Green. 

In 1922 it was bought by the Bradford Corporation working passenger/goods trains over the Nidd Valley Light Railway between Pately Bridge and Lofthouse, and up to Scar House reservoir.  It was initially named “Mitchell” after the waterworks engineer who was overseeing the reservoir project.

In 1930 it was renamed ‘Illingworth’ after William Illingworth, who opened the reservoir in 1936 as part of the Nidd Valley Water Supply Scheme.  Upon the closure of the line in 1936, it was sold to Sir Robert McAlpine Ltd., renamed ‘Harold’, and worked upon the building of the huge Ebbw Vale steelworks in Wales.

It was sold to Mowlem’s in 1940, and once again carried out war duties, this time at Swynnerton and Ruddington, taking the name ‘Swynnerton’.

Now residing at the Embsay and Bolton Abbey Steam Railway. The loco had a renaming ceremony to honour nursing pioneers and in recognising the work of Mary Seacole and Florence Nightingale.

J94 Hunslet Austerity 0-6-0 No22

The Lincolnshire Wolds Railway was excited to have guest locomotive No22 running from Sunday 4th July 2021 throughout the summer months. It was built in 1956 for the National Coal Board (NCB) by the Hunslet Engine CompanyThe loco worked at the Graig Merthyr Colliery in South Wales until June 1978 when the colliery closed. It worked between the Graig Merthyr Colliery & the exchange sidings on the former GWR main line on the Swansea District line at Graig Merthyr Colliery Sidings. In 1997 the locomotive was purchased privately and based with  the Appleby-Frodingham Railway Preservation Society. The locomotive was moved by the society to Scunthorpe where its restoration was started. The locomotive was restored to steam in 2010 & has since worked on various heritage railways on loan.


Built in 1874, ‘Bellerophon’ is one of the oldest steam locomotives in the world. She appeared at the 2011 LWR Easter Gala courtesy of her owners, the Vintage Carriages Trust and her caretakers, the Foxfield Railway in Staffordshire. ‘Bellerophon’ has many claims to fame – she is the only surviving loco built by the Haydock Foundry. She was the first successful use of the piston valve on any steam locomotive and she has the highly unusual Gooch valve gear.

47406 – Jinty 0-6-0 tank

When Jinty 47406 visited the Lincolnshire Wolds Railway for the 2011 Easter Gala she became the first steam loco to face south on a scheduled passenger train on the line for 50 years – the last being Britannia 70040 ‘Clive of India’, which pulled the last steam-hauled Cleethorpes – Kings Cross service in November 1962. This was almost certainly be the first time ever a Midland Jinty has visited East Lincolnshire. Based at the Great Central Railway, 47406 was restored by owner Roger Hibbert and returned to service at Loughborough last year.

Ivatt Class 2 2-6-0 number 46521

Ivatt Class 2 2-6-0 number 46521 visited the LWR for the 2015 Easter Steam Gala. Built at Swindon works in 1953, number 46521 had a short working life under British Railways, but its other claim to fame was when it was used for Royal Train duties when the Queen visited North Wales in 1963. It looked like the end for the engine when it was sent to the infamous Barry Scrap Yard in 1967 but it escaped the cutter’s torch and was moved to the Seven Valley Railway and eventually restored to working order. While there, 46521 starred in the classic BBC TV comedy series ‘Oh, Dr Beeching!’, which was based on a fictional branch line threatened with closure under the Beeching Axe. She is now based on the Great Central Railway at Loughborough.

Number 1300

Number 1300 was built at the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railways Horwich locomotive works in 1896 and is the sole survivor of the Aspinall ‘27’ Class of 0-6-0 locomotives which numbered over 480. Though primarily designed for freight duties, the locos could be found on passenger work and particularly excursion traffic. There are many stories of the class working 10-coach plus passenger trains from the mill towns of Northern England to the coast. It is a tribute to the soundness, usefulness and simple practicality of Aspinall’s design that some 300 of the class passed into the hands of the LMS and around 50 were still in British Railways service as late as the summer of 1960. 1300 was the first tender loco to appear on the LWR in the heritage era at our 2013 Easter Gala.

Number 30585

Beattie 2-4-0 Well Tank number 30585 was built in 1874 for the London & South Western Railway and spent most of its working life in Cornwall hauling china clay trains on a goods line near Wadebridge line until 1962. Beattie 2-4-0 Well Tank number 30585 was built in 1874 for the London & South Western Railway and spent most of its working life in Cornwall hauling china clay trains on a goods line near Wadebridge line until 1962. Now based at the Buckinghamshire Railway Centre, 30585 was the star attraction at the 2014 Easter Steam Gala in what was the first-ever visit to Lincolnshire of this type of locomotive.


0-4-0 Saddle Tank locomotive number 7386 ‘Birkenhead’ was built in 1947 by Robert Stephenson & Hawthorns Ltd and worked at various power station railway complexes until 1967. The GWR Preservation Group at Southall, Middlesex acquired her in the late 1970s and she has visited many heritage railway centres since then. ‘Birkenhead’ arrived at the LWR in April 2014 for the Easter Steam Gala and remained at Ludborough until Spring 2015.


Built by W G Bagnall at Stafford in 1942 2680 ‘Courageous’ was the first member of the Company’s standard 16” class of 0-6-0STs. She spent all her working life at Birchenwood Gas and Coke Co works near Stoke-on-Trent until its closure in 1973. After withdrawal, several changes of ownership took place and the locomotive’s condition gradually deteriorated, with many parts being lost in the intervening years. She has now been rebuilt by a small but dedicated team at the Ribble Steam Railway. She visited the LWR in April 2014 for the Easter Steam Gala, which was the first trip away from her home base at Preston.

MSC 70 – Hudswell Clark 0-6-0 side tank

Number 70 appears courtesy of her owners who are based on the Swindon and Cricklade railway. 70 was one of the MSC ‘Long tanks’ built by Hudswell Clarke of Leeds in 1921. She was one of a class of 22 locomotives built for the Ship Canal railway and one of just two to survive today. 70 was withdrawn from MSC use in 1973 and she went to the East Lancs railway, where she was restored to steam again. Following various ownership changes the loco is now based on the S & CR but she does appear at other railways on short term hires. Although never named by the MSC, 70 did once carry the name of ‘Phoenix’ in its preservation career. Number 70 left the LWR at the beginning of October 2010.

No 2150 The Mardy Monster

he biggest and most powerful steam loco ever to run at the Lincolnshire Wolds Railway arrived at Ludborough on 20th July 2010. Named ‘The Mardy Monster’, she is a Peckett ‘OQ’ Class No 2150, and was built in June 1954 for Mardy colliery in South Wales where she worked with sister loco 2151. 2150 went in to preservation, initially at the Swanage railway but was never used there and was eventually sold in the early 1990s. She then went to the Elsecar railway and was fully restored – running there for many years. Following a loan period at the Weardale railway she was prematurely withdrawn from service awaiting firebox repairs. No. 2150 re-entered service in 2005 and continued to give good service at Elsecar. She went to the East Lancs railway for a brief visit in mid-2010 but proved unsuitable for their 25 mph running, so ‘The Mardy Monster’ became available for hire again and is now on a loan period to the LWR until the end of October 2010.

6430 – Great Western Railway 0-6-0 Pannier tank

The 6430 appeared at the 2010 Easter Gala courtesy of the Llangollen Railway plc and the locomotive’s owner. 6430 was built in 1937 by the GWR at Swindon. She worked on branch lines all over the Western region and was based in South Wales and later at Exmouth Junction and Yeovil sheds. She was withdrawn in 1964 and sold for scrap but the Dart Valley Railway bought her as spares for 6435. In 1990 she was sold to the present owner who took her to Llangollen for major restoration – this was completed by December 2003 and from 2004 to the present she has operated at Llangollen and on hires to other railways. This was almost certainly the first visit by such a loco to East Lincolnshire.

Millom – Hudswell Clarke 0-4-0 saddle tank

Based at the Buckinghamshire Railway Centre at Quainton Road, Bucks, 1742 ‘Millom’ was also built by Hudswell Clarke of Leeds, but in 1946 and for the Ministry of Supply. In 1957 she was sold to the Millom Heamatite & Iron Co Ltd where she was stored until 1963 when she was overhauled and used again until the works closed in 1968. By 1970 the loco was preserved at Quainton Road where she is still based. Following another overhaul she steamed again in 2007 and was making her second visit to the LWR.

1438 – Peckett and Sons 0-4-0 saddle tank

The 1438 is based at the Appleby Frodingham Railway Society’s base at Scunthorpe steelworks (Corus) and appeared at the Easter Gala courtesy of her owner, Mr Chris Theaker. 1438 is a 15″ cylinder type of W5 class loco, built by Peckett in 1916. She went to work initially for the City of Birmingham Electric Company and carried the name “Nechelles Number 1”. In 1970 she was transferred to Northampton power station as their stand-by loco and in 1975 she was withdrawn from there. She was then sold and preserved at the East Anglian Railway Museum but in 1990 the present owner bought her and took her to Scunthorpe where she was restored. 1438 is a regular performer there and at other railways. 1438 made her first visit to the LWR at the 2010 Easter Gala and made a return visit for the 2011 Gala.

    Your Cart
    Your cart is empty